South Windsor Man Accused of Stealing Assault Rifle Faces Additional Charges

Jordan Marsh, 26, is still being held on bond in connection to alleged East Windsor Riverview Gun Sales theft.


The South Windsor man accused of attempting to steal a long rifle from an East Windsor gun store last month is facing two additional charges stemming from him allegedly violating his probation.

Jordan Marsh, 26, whose most recent address was 485 King St. in South Windsor, was arrested after he allegedly attempted to steal a Bushmaster .50 caliber rifle from Riverview Gun Sales on Dec. 15, when an employee noticed that Marsh was leaving the store without paying for the $4,995.95 gun, according to East Windsor police.

Marsh was eventually charged with larceny in the third degree, robbery in the first degree, theft of a firearm and carrying a dangerous weapon and was held on a $2 million bond.

East Windsor Det. Matthew Carl said in an interview that Marsh indicated that he needed the gun because he was “being teased at work.”

During the investigation, police in Hartford seized an AR-15 rifle from a Hartford hotel that Marsh had checked into several days earlier, according to East Windsor police.

Before his arraignment hearing at Superior Court in Hartford on Tuesday morning, Marsh was served with an additional warrant charging him with stealing a firearm and criminal possession of a pistol. Bond was set for those additional charges at $100,000, according to court records.

Information contained in the warrant was not available as of press time. Marsh, however, was expected to plead not guilty to the charges stemming from his December arrest, though it was not known as of press time if he entered a plea to the additional charges from this morning's arrest warrant.

The matter was continued until Feb. 5, according to court records.

Marsh, who until recently lived with his father and stepmother, had previously received a two-year suspended sentence after police discovered in June 2011 that he had stolen 12 firearms from Riverview Gun Sales.

Marsh’s stepmother, Sharon Hodge, said in a telephone interview last month that Marsh has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been living in their South Windsor home until Jordan was kicked out the week prior to his arrest after he neglected to take his medication and started behaving erratically.

Riverview Gun Sales was subsequently raided by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives shortly after Marsh’s arrest.

In 2007, Riverview Gun Sales owner David E. Laguercia notified the federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives that 33 guns were missing from his store, according to a Hartford Courant story. Of those 33 guns, 28 were recovered when police searched the home of Brian H. McClelland, who was a frequent customer of the store and helped out on occasion, the Courant reported.

According to published reports, one of the guns used by Adam Lanza in the Newtown shootings last month was legally purchased from Riverview Gun Sales by Adam’s mother, Nancy Lanza.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »